In line with its skilled practice, the firm’s IP Department boasts skilled IP Advocates who are authorized to practice before the Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI). As a result of its experienced base of lawyers, the Department is regularly instructed by clients with large portfolios in IP.
The Department advises both established and developing businesses on its IP practice areas as well as legal issues regarding the introduction into and management of products in the relevant markets.
The department has built good working relationships with the examiners and senior officers at various IP offices in various jurisdictions in Africa. This cordial relationship facilitates the Firm’s regular transactions with the IP offices hence enabling the department to attend to clients’ instructions promptly and comprehensively.
The firm has its presence within the region in Uganda, Tanzania, DRC, South Sudan, Rwanda, Malawi, Ethiopia and Burundi. Further the firm has established a network of IP associates enabling the firm to handle IP and related legal matters in other African regions such as in East and Central Africa, the African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO) and the African Intellectual Property Organization (OAPI). The firm’s practice network in East Africa has been developed especially by the common market opportunities presented by the East African Community Market Protocol.
MMC Africa Law – IP services
The firm’s IP Department offers a full range of services in intellectual property including the following:
1. Filing, prosecution and maintenance: Trade marks, patents, industrial designs, domain names, and utility models including searches;
- Application for and prosecution of copyright registration; and
- Applications for and prosecution of plant breeders’ rights.
- IP litigation including:
- Commercial aspects of IP including:
- Anti-counterfeiting services.
5. Legislative and regulatory advisory services.
- Opposition proceedings;
- Removal or revocation proceedings; and
- Enforcement actions before the High Court of Kenya.
- Drafting of license agreements, deed of assignments and franchise agreements;
- Intellectual property audits;
- Intellectual property valuation; and
- Due diligence.